Thursday, August 4, 2011

Beans&Greens




I know this is not the official greens and beans recipe that Betty Crocker would teach you, but this is my way, and it's yummy!
inspired by my momma


Ingredients:

Olive oil (extra-virgin is best, especially if it is from Spain, my personal preference) or Butter or both
1-2 cloves of garlic
1 can great northern beans
Crushed red pepper
Salt
Black Pepper
Spinach



Since I never measure anything, I don't know exactly how much of each I put in. Usually I do alot of taste-testing while cooking to figure out just how I like it done.


Directions:

Heat a large frying pan on stove top, add olive oil or butter when it is hot (about 2TBS)

olive oil is much healthier, but butter, salted butter adds more flavor. sometimes i use both. i'm pretty sure that is breaking some unwritten kitchen law- butter AND olive oil? oh well... that's what i do.

Crush, mince, chop, or attack your garlic in some way, add to pan (about 1-2 cloves)

don't let the garlic burn! turn pan down if necessary.

After a minute or so, add drained and rinsed beans (1 15 oz. can)

Mix in crushed red pepper, black pepper, and salt to taste.

i have no idea how much of these i actually add... probably about 1tsp crushed red, a few shakes of pepper and one shake of salt.



When beans are heated thoroughly, throw on two handfuls of fresh spinach

it looks like a lot, but it will wilt down to a good amount, you can always take it easy and add more as you go. you could probably use frozen spinach as well, but it wouldn't be half as good.

Mix it all together, let spinach wilt, mix some more, and voila! Ready to eat.


Yields:

2 servings

or more if eaten over pasta


Fun additions:

add feta cheese to finished product

eat over pasta (I prefer bow-tie pasta for this one)

eat over rice

add sun-dried tomatoes

use escarole instead of spinach (this is how my mom makes it)

fry your beans up in chicken stock (lots of flavor! also a mom trick)


It's a pretty easy, very quick, super healthy meal or side-dish with tons of protein and fiber and lots of vitamins.


What would you add or suggest?

Did you try it? What did you think?

1 comment:

  1. oh, wow, I LOVE beans AND I LOVE greens! I will have to try this - it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete